Wednesday, November 13, 2013

CONDUITS OF COMFORT - Part Three: Overcoming



In this short series, I’ve talked about pain and loneliness. I want to end it with an explanation of the title, Conduits of Comfort and how to overcome not only pain and loneliness, but everything that sends us to a bad place and causes us to take our focus off the most important entities in our lives; our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and the Father of us all, the Almighty God.

According to Merriman-Webster, a conduit is defined as: 1) a pipe or tube through which something (such as water or wire) passes; and 2) someone or something that is used as a way of sending something (such as information or money) from one place or person to another. 

Let’s be enlightened by the second definition; for that someone is Christ and that something is His Word, the Bible. The information being transmitted is hope. We have hope in Christ through the Word for overcoming every –and I mean every – obstacle in our lives! No matter how much pain we have been in or are in, there is no comfort like that found in Jesus Christ. No matter how lonely we are, there is no friend on whom we can depend on to be with us like Jesus Christ. Don’t you just love saying that name! Jesus - “Jehovah is salvation” “the healer” “the Soter or Iesous” (meaning savior of his people)” and Christ – “Christos or the anointed”  “Excellent” “Messiah or anointed of God”. Just the meaning of His name should give us immeasurable comfort! I love Jesus with every fiber of my being! When I think about the pain that has been inflicted on me, when I think of the pain I go through daily just by living in this world, I counter the pain with beautiful, wonderful, tearfully happy thoughts of my Savior. Have you been so happy until you can’t do anything but cry “thank you Lord!” Well that is just what we need to do when that pain hits us; thank Him! Thank him that we can go through it that we’re not so hard until we don’t believe He is going to help us get through everything! When I become lonely and feel like crawling in a dark corner, I counter the loneliness with thoughts of my Lord, Jesus. I know that the loneliness will only be for a season and when the season has come to an end, I emerge stronger, more ready to do His work!

Jesus and His Word are our conduits of comfort. See for yourself; know that He loves us and gives us strength to face the pain, to face the loneliness, to face to the ugliness of a selfish, cruel world. Remember that the Lord is good and kind, our ever-present protector and provider of comfort in times of need: Deuteronomy 31:8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Psalm 119:76 May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant. John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.

Finally, the 23rd Psalm says it better than I ever could: 1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

As I complete this post, there are tears in my eyes because I know that as this day goes on I may experience both bouts of pain and loneliness. But the tears are not for that, they are for the knowledge that I am going to make it through because I know the Lord! I know Him! He is my everlasting conduit of comfort!

No comments:

Post a Comment