Monday, August 19, 2013

With You, I’m Born Again!



There are so many “old school” songs about love that simply move me to great thought, or maybe wishful thinking, depending on your interpretation of this post. Anyway, although I am fully aware of the worldly connotations of these songs, I can examine them from a spiritual aspect to interpret a love that is beyond comprehension; a love so beautiful and lasting until the very awareness of its existence, for some, is inconceivable. One of those songs is, “With You I’m Born Again”, a duet with Billy Preston and Syreeta. For those of you who aren’t old school and don’t know it, here are the words, without the stanza repetitions:
Come bring me your softness
Comfort me through all this madness
Woman [man], don't you know, with you I'm born again

Come give me your sweetness
Now there's you, there is no weakness
Lying safe within your arms, I'm born again

I was half, not whole
In step with none
Reaching through this world
In need of one

Come show me your kindness
In your arms I know I'll find this
Woman [man], don't you know, with you I'm born again
Lying safe with you I'm born again

WOW, what a love! But I am going to step outside of the boundaries of this song being about a male and female relationship and look at it from the lens of a spiritual relationship with the Lord. Contrary to those who say, “I don’t need anybody or anything”, we all need comfort in our lives and the Lord is there to shower us with His softness. He is our comfort, one that will never elude us. “It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will never forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed” Deuteronomy 31:8. “Come unto me all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls” Matthew 11:28-29. 

The world is in a perpetual state of confusion and Satan’s only goal is to trap us, get us caught up in the madness and keep us from looking up and seeking the peace that only God can provide. “And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus” Philippians 4:7. And the Lord is so very sweet to us! “Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him” Psalm 34:8. Furthermore, there is no weakness in the Lord for our safety abides in His love because “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love” 1 John 4:28. “In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety” Psalm 4:8.

We are whole in the Lord, we have all that we could ever want…ever need! “[We] have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer [us] who live, but Christ who lives in [us]. And the life [we] now live in the flesh [we] live by faith in the Son of God, who loved [us] and gave himself for [us]” Galatians 2:20 and “Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come” 2 Corinthians 5:17. We reach out to the Lord and the world cannot touch us since “[We] can do all things through him who strengthens [us]” Philippians 4:23. [We] can conquer the world because [we] know the nature of what it has to offer; “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places” Ephesians 6:12 and “Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect” Romans 12:2.

However, we have a significant role in our transformation. We have to radiate kindness, we have to love; and that means everyone! We cannot pick and choose who we will love based on our perceptions of them, biases, prejudices, whatever! “Above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony” Colossians 3:14 and “Above all, keep loving one another earnestly since love covers a multitude of sins” 1 Peter 4:8. “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man” Ecclesiastes 12:3.

No comments:

Post a Comment