Thursday, August 1, 2013

Thank You Lord, For The Trials!



Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness [patience]. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:2-4

This was one of those scriptures that I found hard to capture. I mean, I’m in mental pain with life’s stressors closing in on every side! And I am supposed to be joyful that I get to go through such agony? Wow!  But then I began to grow in understanding the Word and took a closer look at this thing. I examined how trials can actually make you stronger. I would like to share my thoughts with you.

I was in an abusive marriage for 21 years and during those years I was beyond miserable. I tried to get out of it many times, but something always happened to thwart my efforts. My pain was all too real and my patience, much too short. I would cry on end and pray unceasingly. Perhaps the prayers were evidence of my steadfastness, so to speak. I would grab my Bible and read as tears ran down my face, or sometimes I would watch my girls and pray that my pain wasn’t affecting them. I would shower them with as much love as I possibly could; I would transfer to them, all the affection my ex-husband was not giving to me. At times it was hard but I would not let it affect the way I treated other people or how I interacted with my Christian brothers and sisters. As a matter-of-fact, outside of my children, no one even knew what I was going through. 

I was given my first opportunity to speak at a Ladies’ Inspiration Day and ironically enough it was about marriage. Though I did not speak directly about the abuse I was suffering, I was able to integrate it into my presentation. I was able to talk about the imperfections of humans and the effects our mistreatment of others had on those outside of our private circle. I was then asked to speak at a similar program on unity, which afforded me, yet again an opportunity to assimilate my family situation into my speech. After that, my chances to speak came more frequent. Strangely, they all had some relevance to suffering and life’s trials. And though I was in such mental and physical pain during my marriage it all seemed to fall in line with Psalm 119:71-72 in which David confessed to the Lord that “It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statues. The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces.” And again in Psalm 119:75-76 “I know, O Lord, that your rules are righteous, and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me. Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant.”

Once I understood that my sufferings actually made me stronger I stopped the pity parties I frequently threw for myself. Would I like to see anyone else go through such agony so they too can understand? Of course not! But I’ve now found myself in a position where I can speak to other women and share with them, and comfort them, and let them know that God is always in control! Even when you think no one cares about you, my God is right there beside you, holding your hand, drying your tears, and whispering it is going to get better, just hold on! Romans 5:2-5 confirms this because it tells us that “Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings knowing that suffering produce endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.”

None of us like to suffer, but how else can we learn? Sufferings give us insight that we can share with others. Suffering draws us closer to God. We’ve “been there, done that” and now when can help others who may be going through the same thing. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4. We may suffer for a little while but please take comfort in the knowledge that “…for those who love God all things work together or good, for those who are called according to his purpose.”

No comments:

Post a Comment