Friday, October 11, 2013

Endless Love



When it comes to my taste in secular music, I love jazz, soundscapes and “oldies”! Sometimes those oldies get me through a very trying day. You know how you listen to them and it’s like, “yeah, that’s it! That’s how I’m feelin’ right about now…go on with your bad self!”  You know, stuff like that. And oldies love songs…what you say! I can sit back and listen, and listen, and listen…then I cry, and cry, and cry! Wow, this is exhausting! But anyway, you know where I’m going with this…or…may be you don’t.  

So I was at work listening to music online, specifically, Motown oldies. You know about Motown, right? Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, The Commodores, Billy Preston….singing all of them good old songs. Songs you can actually sing the lyrics to; songs you can understand; songs that mean something…and they are all about love. Yeah, love…that elusive thing that we want, that we say we’ve had. Sometime I wonder about that, like, here I am 59 years old and I really don’t know what love is. I mean that real thing between a man and woman; that thing that makes you smile every day when you think about him; that thing that keeps you feeling 21 when you’re really 41! Oh well, at this age I kinda figure I’ll never experience that type of love, but what I do experience every second of every day is a love that is all-consuming, ever present, and all-sustaining! This love keeps me through the night and wakes me up in the morning. This love is endless!

So that brings me to the title of this post “Endless Love”; a song made famous by Diana Ross and Lionel Ritchie. Take a look at the lyrics to this song if you will:

My love, there’s only you in my life
The only thing that’s right
My love, you’re every breath that I take
You’re every step I make
And I, I want to share all my love with you
No one else will do
And your eyes, they tell me how much you care
Oh yes, you’ll always be my endless love

Two hearts that beat as one

Our lives have just begun
Forever, I’ll hold you close in my arms
I can’t resist your charms
And love, I’ll be a fool for you
I’m sure you know I don’t mind
‘Cause you mean the world to me
Oh I know I found in you my endless love

Oh and love I’ll be that fool for you
I’m sure you don’t mind
And yes you’ll be the only one
‘Cause no one can’t deny
This love I have inside
And I’ll give it all to you
My love, my endless love

Wow! Whew! My Goodness! What a love…what a lover! When you hear those lyrics, you can’t do anything but shake your head and go hmm….If only! Okay so maybe I don’t have that physical love, that closeness with a person of the opposite sex, perhaps I’ll never experience such wonderment and I will admit it bothers me and at times it hurts. So when I become consumed with this type of thinking, I have to do something extraordinarily simple…I have to LOOK UP! Yes, look up to that One who is the epitome of love!  He is without question the greatest lover there is, He is the Alpha and Omega, the Almighty, the Highest, the love of my life; He is absolute love! 1 John 4 talks about His incomparable love.

Of course there is the verse of love that we all learned as a child John 3:16“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life”. Now I ask you, what man would do that for you? We are His children from the foundation of the world and He will continue to love us even when this world no longer exists 1 John 3:1 “See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him”. There are times when I lose hope, simply because my prayers have not been answered (or so I think) but my Lover always has my back and He knows what is good for me and because He loves me so much He will provide Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope”. The physical man cannot provide for us as the Lord can, he cannot give us hope and the only future that he can provide for us has limits; he is bound by the limitations of his mind.

So my Lord is responsible for every breath I take and every step I make. Even if I don’t share my love with Him, He shares his with me because His love is unconditional. Romans 5:8 “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us”. Jeremiah 31:3 “The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, [saying], Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee”. And you know what? I will be a fool for Him! I’ve had people in my life who’ve told me that they don’t believe in Him; they say that they are the “captains of their fate”; the Lord doesn’t answer prayers; I am crazy to believe in something I cannot see…and on and on and on…so if my belief makes me a fool, then a fool I’ll be until He sends his son back for those who continued to love Him. Then I guess I’ll just be a fool in heaven!

God is the absolute and no one can’t deny this love I have inside and I’ll give it all to Him, my love, my endless love!

No comments:

Post a Comment